Each year NYC public high school students age 16 and over are offered the opportunity to obtain a paid summer internship teaching art to children through Studio Institute’s Teen Apprenticeship Program (TAP). Students earn their internship upon completion of an online apprenticeship that takes place throughout the spring.
During the internship, teens teach art by creating video lessons and teaching live art classes on Zoom. The program improves your art making abilities, builds transferable job skills such as communication and collaboration skills, and helps prepare you for college or future jobs. TAP interns learn, get paid, and have fun!
The apprenticeship is totally virtual. Students train as apprentices with a Studio Institute artist instructor on Saturdays, from February 6, 2021 to June 19, 2021. Apprentices engage in art making, participate in group discussions, learn how to write lesson plans, create pre-recorded videos, and practice teaching. Students must attend our live Saturday online classes and complete self-guided work weekly.
Improve Your Art Making Skills, Build Career Readiness,
and Get Paid to Teach Art to Children
To learn more, register for a January 2021 information session where you will hear from former TAP interns and talk with the artist instructor and program manager. RSVP HERE to attend a session at 3 PM or 4 PM on one of these dates: January 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, and 15.
The application deadline is January 18, 2021. APPLY NOW!
In 2020, we revamped the program to provide the spring apprenticeship training and summer internships online. TAP students created online art lessons in collage, drawing, and painting and taught them to children K–Grade 5! Take a look at art lesson videos created last summer.
Teen Apprenticeship Program Requirements and Application Process
TAP is a dual spring apprenticeship and summer internship program. There are limited spaces available, and our decision will be based on the content and quality of your complete application. Qualifying students will be invited to interview in late January. APPLY HERE.
To participate in TAP, you must:
- Be 16 years of age or older by 7/1/2021
- Have an interest in teaching art to young children, ages 5–12
- Commit to the Saturday training sessions from February 6 to June 19
- Commit to training during school holidays: Winter Break: Wednesday, February 17; Spring Break: Tuesday, March 30 and Thursday, April 1; and Chancellor’s Day: Thursday, June 3
- Commit to working 20–25 hours per week from July 5 to August 13
- Be able to work legally in the US
- Provide your transcript and attendance records (Upload files in the application.)
- Provide two letters of recommendation (Upload files in the application or have your references email the letters to us by the time of your interview.)
APPLY HERE. Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
TAP Onsite Internships, 2019