This summer internship opportunity was a life changing experience. Because of this program I learned more about myself and I gained confidence for public speaking. This is a skill that is not only needed for school but also throughout my life. – Kirandeep, TAP Intern
The Teen Apprenticeship Program is a cornerstone of Studio’s commitment to serving youth. Each year students are offered the opportunity to obtain a paid summer job teaching art. Students selected for this program participate in an apprenticeship program throughout the spring where they gain expertise in the fundamentals of art, learn how to instruct young children in basic art lessons, learn about the expectations of the workplace and develop good work habits. Rich art-making experiences as well as visits to museums and galleries are key components of the program. Successful completion of the spring apprenticeship leads to paid summer employment as an art instructor in a summer camp.
To be eligible, applicants must be 16 years old by June 2019. Students who are selected for this program will participate in an apprenticeship program in the spring, which takes place on weekdays after school, as well as on select Saturdays and two weekdays during Spring Break.
Through the spring apprenticeship, students will:
- learn the fundamentals of art
- learn how to instruct young children in basic art lessons
- develop good work habits and learn about the expectations of the workplace
- be considered for a paid job during the summer
- be eligible to receive 1 elective credit or art credit towards graduation
The program improves college readiness and is a great opportunity for young people to learn valuable skills, get paid and have fun. However, it is highly competitive, so apply right away!
Do I qualify for the Teen Apprenticeship Program?
To be selected, you must be enrolled in a New York City public high school and:
- have an interest in art
- be 16 years old or older by June 1, 2019
- have an interest in working with children
- be able to commit to the spring apprenticeship program as well as the paid summer job
- be able to work legally in the US
There is no prior experience necessary.
What does the summer internship involve?
- Interns will be placed at summer camps around NYC.
- Internships will begin the end of June and last 6-7 weeks, depending on the site.
- Interns will work about 20-25 hours per week.
- Interns will earn an hourly wage of $15.00 for the summer internship.
This includes work hours and training.
Our applications are closed for the season. Please check back in 2020 to apply for the Teen Apprenticeship Program.